Temple Israel is widely recognized as the largest reform temple in New England, and it is one of the most prominent synagogues in the greater Boston area. Temple Israel is known for offering an array of Jewish experiences and cultural and social programming, including interfaith inclusion and social justice activism. Our historic building is home to a K-12 Religious School, a well-renowned preschool, and Beacon Academy, an independent school for urban youth. Through our website, email blasts, social media presence, and print media, we strive to communicate the benefits of affiliation and membership. In addition to spiritual connection, Temple Israel offers volunteer opportunities, social justice outreach, education programs, youth group activities, and inter-generational events. It has initiated a multi-year process for revitalization called the TI Project: Shaping Our Future, with the objective to sustain congregational life by fostering meaningful, transformative relationships.
Membership and Engagement Associate
Temple Israel is seeking an experienced and personable Membership and Engagement Associate to manage all membership and engagement related activities. We are seeking a motivated self-starter with great people skills who can take our existing processes and enhance them to improve recruitment and retention practices. The position is a pivotal role for the success of Temple Israel, and requires dependability, the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, and a high level of professionalism.
The successful candidate will have the ability to work independently, with a proven track record of self-direction, follow-through, and dependability. Excellent oral and written communications skills, keen attention to detail, and stellar customer service and interpersonal skills are a must. The candidate should be able to relate to the wide spectrum of Temple Israel constituencies, and cultivate strong organizational proficiency.
This is a wonderful opportunity for an energetic and proactive professional with a passion and commitment for synagogue life. Vibrant applicants with a sense of humor and a desire for longevity in this role are encouraged to apply. This position reports to the Executive Director, and works closely with the Senior Rabbi, Engagement Rabbi, and a group of dedicated volunteers.
Membership and Engagement Responsibilities
- Warmly welcome new and prospective members, helping them develop a sense of belonging to the synagogue and build connections within the community
- Be a part of developing and implementing strategies for engaging those in our congregational orbit
- Recruit new members and execute outreach strategies
- Develop and implement member retention techniques
- Provide support to temple lay-leaders and volunteers on projects and events including Shabbat dinners, new member gatherings, and external events
- Work closely with our Engagement Rabbi to build and implement engagement strategies
- Track trends regarding membership and involvement and report to the Executive Director, board, and senior staff
Administrative and CRM Responsibilities (Salesforce)
- Maintain data integrity of the database by updating member records and processing new member applications including coordination of billing and abatements
- Provide phone and email support to temple members by responding to inquiries about life cycle events, ways to get involved, billing, member options, and engagement pathways
- Manage all administrative aspects of membership including our annual renewal process
- Coordinate membership billing and abatement process with our finance team
- Manage High Holy Day ticketing including member, non-member, and reciprocal requests
- Support the efforts of the Membership Committee, ensuring their success
EDUCATION, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Familiarity with Jewish life cycle events and an appreciation for the importance of a synagogue in a Jewish community is a plus
- 5+ years of experience in related field
- Working knowledge of and a passion for synagogue life
- Ability to interact with confidentiality, integrity, and tact when working with the diverse community
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Meticulous attention to detail, even under tight deadlines
- Ability to work independently and autonomously and exhibit strong follow-through
- Superb time-management skills are a must
- A demonstrated track record with database management (specifically Salesforce is a plus)
- High computer literacy: adept in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook); familiarity with databases and online marketing
- Experience with Board and lay-leadership committee relations is a plus
Hours are generally 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, with sometimes-significant evening and weekend hours, including major Jewish holidays. Salary commensurate with experience.